Honda service

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Boloney
Year: 2014
Color: Blue

Honda service

Post by Boloney »

is it worth doing them?
I done 2 of them so far, I'm close to 5000 miles so next one will be due soon, but it cost aroung £150 each time.
do you guys keep doing them?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Honda service

Post by you you »

Boloney wrote:is it worth doing them?
I done 2 of them so far, I'm close to 5000 miles so next one will be due soon, but it cost aroung £150 each time.

Nope. Never even took it in for its 600 mile service.

Just changed the oil. A teacups worth and checked it over
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

At that price, how many services until you've bought the bike twice? I don't treat mine any different than any bike I've had, before. The bike I sold before downsizing to this one was 40 years old. I must be doing enough and I spend nothing like that amount.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I only had the 1st one done as I figured it was worth keeping the extra 6 months warranty up in case things went wrong early on - since then I've racked up near 6000 miles over 17 months and only done the oil change so far (and coolant reservoir checked / topped up). Not cleaned the little hose thing as it looks ok and not changed the spark plug yet as the bike starts and riding perfectly and I get great economy so things must be ok.
I will change the plug and air filter in due course. Something major may go wrong, but with a quoted £900+ for five services over 2 years (1st service was quoted as £70 but was £83 with VAT and green tax! so dealer prices may be even higher) I'm taking my chances. I may lose out or be quids in.
Just 2-2.5 years of use (purchase cost, tax, fuel, insurance, clothes, etc) it would be the same cost as using the tube to get to work and I can still sell it and be in profit - so it's proved to be a great investment.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I service my own. I'll admit, I've not done the valve check, but the guys at my local dealer said it wasn't worth bothering. They confirmed that not doing the valve check would have no impact on my warranty.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:They confirmed that not doing the valve check would have no impact on my warranty.
Are you in the USA?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:They confirmed that not doing the valve check would have no impact on my warranty.
Are you in the USA?
Location is in my sig. :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

honkerman wrote:I service my own. I'll admit, I've not done the valve check, but the guys at my local dealer said it wasn't worth bothering. They confirmed that not doing the valve check would have no impact on my warranty.
I'm in the same boat, do all my own work, and a no valve job will only affect warranty only if the operating condition shows that a valve job is the problem. Other than that, I can't see it affecting anything. I was a bike rep for American Honda for seven years in the 1980s. We wouldn't throw anybody out Of warranty unless the lack of maintenance affected the scooter operating parameters.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Do it yourself. Get the service manual or follow the how-to guides here... http://hondapcx.org/viewforum.php?f=3
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Are you in the USA?
Location is in my sig. :D
Ah, I see it now, warranty conditions are different in the UK, deviating from the schedule voids the warranty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ben2talk
Year: 2015
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

Boloney wrote:is it worth doing them?
Your issue is with English prices. Here, we will pay for labour (maybe 3 quid) and oil (maybe 2 quid) and get good service. In Thailand, nobody bothers changing their own oil - the money saved would amount to less than 10 minutes of your income for a good hour's work. (Washing and ironing clothes is the same story).

Actually, the main reason to do them is to stamp the official service book. You decide if it's worth it on the resale, then you decide to bother or not.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]