YSS rear shocks installed - report

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

YSS rear shocks installed - report

Post by montliz44 »

Hi All,

I just installed my new YSS rear shocks on my 2013 PCX150 and thought I'd let you know. I got the Z series, not the more expensive ones with the gas reservoir. I got the black ones, but they come in several colors. Here's the link:

http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/accessorie ... v2-v3.html

They are really nice parts and they fit perfectly, bolt right on, and look great. You could install them in just a few minutes if you didn't have to remove and replace several body parts to get to them. My job (first time body-part removal with lots of shop manual looking) took about two leisurely hours and three beers to accomplish.

Well worth the effort, though. The difference in the ride is like night and day. It feels like a new machine, much smoother, more travel, and much less harsh over the little bumps. Really noticeable difference, plus they look beautiful. When you remove the stock shocks and set them next to the new ones on the bench you can see what you're getting into. The Honda shocks look like just chrome-plated junk. Mine were already starting to rust after just a few months, which was the main reason I went with the upgrade.

The YSS shocks appear to have lots of available adjustment, but I just left mine the way they came, at least for now. I didn't get any instructions in the box, so I assume they're set in the middle of the range somewhere, but they feel fine. (I'm about 160 lbs/72 kilos). The YSS shocks are the same length as the originals, so they don't change the ride height.

My total cost, including shipping, was 207 USD and it took about two weeks to get them from Thailand to Texas.

One satisfied customer,

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: YSS rear shocks installed - report

Post by Jge64 »

I also have the z series, they work great, esp on speed bumps. Good price, great value. Not road racing, I don't need the fancy reservoir.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Ben2talk
Year: 2015
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

Z-series offset I just found in one shop (not my regular, that was closed) and she asked 2100 baht (58.44 USD). Quality looks good - nice finish, but only red springs. I asked about black or chrome and she gave me a long story about how they're really hard to come by...

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Brent »

I just put the YSS XXL shocks with the reservoir and I agree, like night and day difference! I took my 9 year old son for a ride yesterday. When he saw the bump we were headed for and that I wasn't slowing down, he puckered up and braced for the spine shattering impact. We sailed over the bump barely noticing any discomfort. My son leans forward and says, "Wow, your new shocks are cool! That bump didn't hurt!"
Bidlack78
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Bidlack78 »

I really need new shocks. Just ordered a seat from powerbypcx not sure which shocks I'm going to get.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

I'm sure the reservoir shocks offer an even better ride, but they do cost somewhat more. Either type of shock is a huge improvement over the stock Honda shocks.

Johnny
Bidlack78

Post by Bidlack78 »

Just ordered some yss shocks with reservoir slow shipping around $190
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Any place in the US I can order these from?
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Tried EBay? There's some listed on the Uk pages.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Some have bought it from powerbypcx.com and got delivered to the US from Thailand.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Oyabun wrote:Some have bought it from powerbypcx.com and got delivered to the US from Thailand.
I saw them through bikers bits too, and they will ship but it could be as long as two month unless I pay $45 s&h.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I suppose my question is, can I trust for them to be delivered if I order from Bikerzbits. They have exactly what I want and the price is reasonable, even with the $27.16 shipping for the long way. I just don't have what I could call...Disposable income, and would rather a sure thing. Fact is, if it's not right, I can't just send it back to them, and there really don't seem to be any companies here in the U.S. that sell suspension components for scooters. Too bad really, but understandable since here in the states we are a profound minority amongst motorists.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

holy crap...they have the red side body panels...oh no no...I am going to have a crisis!
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

I have used bikerzbits before and though delivery was long they have delivered what was ordered. Haven't personally used powerbypcx.com but read others recommending them.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

I got mine from powerbypcx and had no problems. Good communication and tracking. Great service. I don't know what it would be like to send anything back there for refund or exchange, though.

I ordered a set of reservoir YSSes for my Forza from Bikersbitz (my first order from Bikersbitz) about two weeks ago. Their website says that the Forza shocks are made to order, so there would be a few days delay while the shocks were assembled. Yesterday they sent me an email saying the shocks had been shipped and were on their way (via Thailand Air) and gave me a tracking number. So far so good!

Johnny
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black & Red

Post by St.Clair »

Both places are trusted part suppliers in Thailand for export. They are also the most expensive with powerpcx coming out a winner in stuff that cost the most...like Japanwebike.
I'm 12 stone and have the euro xxl upside down gas shocks for a fat tire conversation. On the lowest setting they are just right...a little stiff but perfect for two up riding. Compared to stock shocks all YSS shocks are much better suited for PCX over the springboard that is stock.

I have noticed many members here are quite purest in regard to upgrading stating that if Honda needed to change something they would have. I don't think this is the case... Burgman 250 used same parts on most of the 400 And 650 even though weights,speed and drive changed. Many parts on the PCX 125 can be seen on the PCX150, click and fino. Honda,Suzuki or whomever are not making the greatest bikes in the world anymore...they have got lazy using many old parts throughout entire ranges to save money.
Suspension and breaking say a lot for the New PCX. In need of a revamp.
I love the PCX but it needs a little help.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
Nikola Tesla
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

I've installed yss shocks earlier, but on request of a friend to check improvement possibilities of the oem shocks I dismantled the ones hanging around shocks and found something entirely shocking so to say.
After removing the spring from a perfect condition shock out from my bike after 1800 km's. I have found that the shock does no have any measurable compression damping and a it has a moderate rebound damping. Installing higher rated shocks would not solve the issue.
As from working on the front suspension the same is valid for the front shocks which are more or less pogo sticks in their original form.
So I suggest to work on the front suspension also in case you liked the effect of the upgraded shocks - and only upgrading springs is not enough.
Sasso

Post by Sasso »

Hey all,

Just upgraded the stock shocks to the YSS G Series (the one with the resovoir).

Overall the rear feels a lot more stable and firm in the bumps (and corners). The stocks seem to bottom out and transfer the energy to your body more. Whereas the YSS absorb it firmly, feeling more like a car or just decent suspension for that matter. I have played with the preload once, giving it a bit of compression. I will experiment more though, and eventually experiment with the rebound/compression damping settings.

Now though I can feel the difference in operation between the front and rear suspension systems.... So will look at changing the firmness/operation of the front forks somehow to be more in line with the feel of the rear... people around the net and whatnot say fork oil? ;)

Overall I love the upgrade.

While yes you can just save the money to buy a better bike with better suspension stock, it's nice to work on what you have and become so familiar with it's way.
Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

Just wanted to chime in and say I ordered the YSS rear shocks from Bikerbitz based on the positive reports on this forum. Will let you know in a few weeks when they are shipped and installed on my PCX150.
Bidlack78

Post by Bidlack78 »

Anyone know the torque specs on the shock bolts? I clicker wrenched top oem nut to 40lbs. Unclear on the supplied but & bolt for bottom I just used blue loctite & clicked to 20lbs. Does that seem fine or am I overthinking it? Thanks.
I picked up the red ones with the reservoir