Black PCX on the way

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Black PCX on the way

Post by djcat »

Hello, I just ordered my new black PCX today, it will have the "62" number plate and the dealer threw in a top box. I went for the U lock, too. I test rode a demo PCX and think the power is ok for my 95Kg, was doing an indicated 65 mph on a slight downhill and an indicated 55mph uphill. Personally I didn't like the position of the mirrors as they are way too close to me for my liking so I will be looking to replace them asap with something aftermarket. I will also need to get used to the riding position and to the quick front wheel input but in general its stable going fast - I'm not sure I would like to go any faster than 70mph on it though...

This bike will be used by my missus for her to get to college and by my humble self for whenever I feel like it :-) After giving up my BMW F800S I just neeeeeeeeeeeed two wheels with some form of engine in it....

Any suggestions on (body mounted) mirrors or extenders are very welcome!

Cheerio!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Black PCX on the way

Post by gn2 »

AFAIK there aren't any body mount mirror kits available for the PCX so it would have to be a home brew job.
Here's a pic to give you some inspiration:

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

There is a pic on this page of custom fairing mirrors:

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice ride for the missus djcat! Maybe she'll join in the forum and tell us how pleased "she" is (If You ever let Her give it a go :D hmmm....I sense a possible second PCX being bought 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

What an inspiring look that Vespa :D

Yep, those fairing mounted PCX ones are the mirrors I fancy, tried to find and order them on line but failed miserably to locate them; looks like they come out of Indonesia or Singapore. I went on a shopping spree yesterday inspired by my new acquisition and got an Ermax screen and mirror extenders. Nearly ordered a hump free seat as well but will firstly just try out to remove it. I don't mind spending another 60 quid on a bike that keeps its value so well for so long.

@WhiteNoise: I tell you the same I told the dealer - She will love it, I will get used to it!

Not meaning to disrespect the PCX, but I felt quite cramped on the seat with that hump and the stock mirrors are way to close to me for my liking. I would have gone for an SMax 125cc that got all day touring seats for two and ABS but the intention was to get a ride for her as well and she didn't feel confident at all with that "much" weight. I do appreciate to just doodle along to the shops in a lightweigt scoot without having to put on protective boots though and am sure with the few mods it can grow on me - at least the power was enough to go along with the flow.

However with insurance costing me 600 Pounds if I include her on it, I am not sure if I just register the bike on her name and I am the additional rider - or maybe get two separate insurance certificates, any suggestions of what worked for you if you had to put a Learner rider on your insurance?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oh my, the mirrors on that Vespa... I think even funnier is that he still has a tiny little L plate on that beast. :lol:

I'm not sure how insurance works in the UK, but I have a flawless driving record, so all our vehicles are insured with me as the primary driver. My wife drives them, and if she wrecks, my insurance would still cover it, but we pay less per month that way.

Why'd you get rid of the F800S? That's a beautiful bike.

My local dealer has all sorts of universal fairing-mount mirrors, they're usually used on CBRs, Ninjas, etc, but you could mount them to anything. They might be able to give you some tips on where to find some if they don't have any too. Not sure if you can get stuff easily off Amazon, but there's lots of options for US people here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... unt+mirror
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Insurance in the UK works differently from other places I have lived at (such as US, Brazil and Germany). Over here it is not really the vehicle that is insured, but the driver/rider operating that vehicle. Hence if I have insurance for one bike it doesn't automatically transfer to another one, unless my insurance provider specifically allows you to ride other people's bikes, usually provided that the owner has insurance of its own. Many people come to the UK and unknowingly drive around without insurance, because in other countries usually the coverage is for the vehicle no matter who is driving...I have a friend who is French, got a car in the UK and let his German friend drive it without the latter having insurance of his own! They went halfway across France when they were rear ended there whilst the German was driving, ironically by a driver with a German car! Neither the German insurance nor the French police knew about the British insurance requirements, meaning that the UK car was basically uninsured and illegally going around, and the German insurance paid out 90% of the damage to my friend - which he took without complaining when I told him that he in fact wasn't covered...

But to make it short: I can't just get the scoot insured and let her drive it without either naming her on my policy or getting her own, so I have three possibilities:

- I am the policy holder (4 years no claims discount, IAM advanced rider, over 30) and get her named on it (6 months CBT, 22)
- She is the policy holder and names me on it
- We both get insurance of our own

and I basically need to see what would be cheaper. I paid 165 Pounds for fully comp on an 800cc bike that goes from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and am kinda speechless by seeing the premium for that little 125er, basically they want a quarter of its price new!!! To me that means that combined we have a chance of 1 in 4 of totaling the PCX, which is ludicrous given that we walk to work, that I have an advanced pass certificate and am over 30, that she will use it only 2 or 3 times a week...
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

maddiedog wrote:

Why'd you get rid of the F800S? That's a beautiful bike.

My local dealer has all sorts of universal fairing-mount mirrors, they're usually used on CBRs, Ninjas, etc, but you could mount them to anything. They might be able to give you some tips on where to find some if they don't have any too. Not sure if you can get stuff easily off Amazon, but there's lots of options for US people here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... unt+mirror
Why I sold the F800S? That wonderful roadster, that goes like stink, is stable at every speed, intuitive through corners, sporty and all day long comfortable, that even got tyre pressure sensors and heated grips from factory and gives 55 imperial mpg and costs nearly nothing in maintenance? Because although it also keeps its value really, really well it was loosing more of it every year and after three years of ownership it had to go; mostly because I had 3 surgeries this year that kept me from riding it at all. But there is also the convenience thing, when I got it it was my weekend fun, commuter, everything. I didn't mind just going around the country all weekend long in full gear, but now I kinda enjoy going somewhere with the lady and walking around in comfortable shoes (no, I don't ride a 400 pounds bike without proper boots). Having the PCX will allow me to just go somewhere in comfy shoes and walk around (e.g. the shops, the beach, the park). The scooter is my way of getting the best out of biking for my actual circumstances.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

djcat you can also tilt the PCX handlbars fwd so that they are further from you. I did that as have long arms. But then I found that when I added my ermax screen, the stock mirrors stopped me doing the handlebar lock so I bought cheap mirrors on eBay which with extenders are fine. If you dont tilt the handlbars fwd you can use the stock mirrors.

DSCF6714 by TazPCX, on Flickr
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Cheers Taz, great idea. Don't have the PCX at home yet so don't know a thing about twisting handlebars and turning mirrors yet. Does any of the mirrors have a reverse thread? Might put some other mirrors on it if I don't adapt to these, but will wait until I see what the extenders bring. I also got the ermax screen but the +12 one. Your aftermarket ones look great but they are a little small for my liking. I could go for something like that: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/28065819 ... sbar&cbt=y
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Quick update on the insurance thing: Changed the industry I work for and what a result - halved the premium! All according to the T&Cs and legal - depending on how you describe your line of work...
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

yep they are standard 10mm bike thread mirrrors, one with thread reversed. I get less drag with my small mirrors and can still see behind me. Am getting 67mph top speed.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Hmm was under impression they are 8 mm with one reverse threaded.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

even though 8mm is common scooter size, I am pretty sure the PCX is 10mm which means any bike mirrors should fit. Most mirror kits also come with 8mm adaptors anyway.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Picked up the PCX this Saturday, I really think I sit better on it than on the dealer demonstrator. With the black top box on the black scooter it also looks bigger :D

Very good handling indeed, acceleration and braking are great for its size and I was able to demonstrate a few emergency stops to my GF. This weekend was really good for her to get used to it, hot and sunny with lots of grip and we doodled around with her on the scoot following me in the car.

All in all a great little scooter and I don't regret the purchase, suits us for everything we wanted to do with it. Just got the Ermax screen and the mirror extenders, too, so I know what I will be doing tomorrow after work.

Will post pictures later.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sounds like fun! You two on on your way! Oh Happy Day(s)!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Hello, so finally after over a month out of which two weeks I was on vacation cruising around with a Kymco scooter in Turkey, I could be bothered to take some pictures. Only mod I had so far was the Ermax smoked screen, still need to fit the mirror extenders. Didn't ride her much, still got less than 100 miles on her but after riding that thing I rented out whilst away, she feels like a Harley Davidson or BMW RT :D
Attachments
PCX 3.PNG
PCX 3.PNG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3477 times
PCX 2.PNG
PCX 2.PNG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 3477 times
PCX 1.PNG
PCX 1.PNG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3477 times
Rhodgie

Post by Rhodgie »

djcat that's a very nice screen.... can you tell me where you got it cause i couldn't find it online :-(

The Mod scooter in the first picture.... I'd love to see him do an emergency stop.... it'd be like a cartoon sketch with it going over on its nose...... haha :-)

Also I've noticed that on the American models they have old fashioned indicators (blinkers?) on stalks instead of the nicely integrated ones we have in the UK.... was gony put a picture of the wifes pcx up but no sure if it'll work from my phone.....!
Rhodgie

Post by Rhodgie »

Struggling to work out how to upload a picture.... damn you galaxy s2! :-(
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Rhodgie wrote:djcat that's a very nice screen.... can you tell me where you got it cause i couldn't find it online :-(
You can buy the ermax on eBay such as
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/destocnet/m. ... m270.l1313

or I bought mine from http://www.same-same.fr/