Thinking about a PCX, have a weird question.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sc00ter

Thinking about a PCX, have a weird question.

Post by sc00ter »

So the wife and I are looking for a small beater, and I have narrowed our choices down to the PCX 150 or a Hooligan 170. I found a new 2015 white PCX for $3000 blow out price, but found a strange issue that no one knew anything about at the dealership. How does water drain out from the dash cluster? Also, what about snow? Anyone have any moister get inside their dash? I plan on getting a PUIG windshield and that still will not prevent water from getting in the dash cluster. The next scoot will sit in the weather year round with no cover, and that recessed dash had me wondering on the PCX. I knew someone that has a PCX but lost touch with him, and the PCX dealer does not offer test rides, and the Hooligan was outta stock-but that dealer offers test rides. Hard choice for such a simple purchase. Anything else I should know concerning the PCX?
cumberlander

Re: Thinking about a PCX, have a weird question.

Post by cumberlander »

Mine lives outdoors and we have had a horrendous amount of rain lately but no problems with ingress of water to the dash .hope this helps
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I guess that I am one of the least qualified to answer this question, but we do get a bit of rain here in Georgia, so our bikes do get wet. So far I have not seen any moisture in my instruments. The dash may be a sealed dash. I know that we can replace the colored panels including the dash hood, but I think the instrumenrt assembly comes out as a single unit. It has a single plug connecting it to the rest of the wiring. I guess if you were concerned enough you could purchase a bike cover fairly cheap. I bought one for ours for $20....try Walmart. There are several forum members who live in England, and they have not mentioned any problems with water in the dash, as far as I know. Maybe they can give you more insight into this matter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I keep mine outdoors and haven't had an issue. Of course, mine is a 2013. I'm not sure if the angle is different on the 2015. The cluster is sealed. So long as you don't crash it, you should be ok.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Thanks! I know that Honda makes good stuff, sometimes with weird issues. All brands have something to hide it seems. Still torn between the 2. The Hooligan has a flat floor, the PCX is liquid cooled. Wife and I were supposed to look at it (PCX) yesterday but never made it to the dealership for a test fit in the passenger area. I also looked at all the aftermarket stuff for the PCX, MUCH better than the Hooligan aftermarket support. Oh, Im in the USA. Norfolk, VA to be exact. Dont do covers. If snow comes and I know the scoot is going to get caught in it I will cram it in the garage instead of letting snow sit on it. Works like this for me-Buy, ride, wear out, replace. Usually replace a scooter around 40,000. Genuine Buddy 125 made it to 38,000 (still on the road-needed something bigger), old Helix made it to 90,000 (wreaked it), SYM CityCom got to 39,000 (HARD to gets parts for-done with them), Wifes Buddy 125 is at 10,000 (her baby-we still have it. To tiny for two fatties), old Kymco People 250 got to 30,000ish (sold it to a friend), Zuma 125 got to 26,000 (traded it because of a electrical issue) so thats how we do it with our beaters. Wonder if the dealership with the PCX is open Saturday?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Ahh...the Hooligan is from Genuine. Hmm. Couple things to consider with comparing the two is, they are separate scooter types. The hooligan appears to be more of a traditional Asian machine with teeny wheels and a nice short wheelbase. The PCX has a longer wheelbase and a slightly more aggressive than standard seating position.

Your best bet is to test ride each machine, then make your choice. Sitting on a machine and actually riding it is the only way to know if you can live with it. We can give you our opinions but everyone has different preferences and needs.

Also bear in mind that Genuine scooters are rebadged PGO machines...which are from Taiwan or Korea...can't remember which. Either way, the build quality is decent, but I've never found them to be quite as good as Honda.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sc00ter wrote:Thanks! I know that Honda makes good stuff, sometimes with weird issues. All brands have something to hide it seems. Still torn between the 2. The Hooligan has a flat floor, the PCX is liquid cooled. Wife and I were supposed to look at it (PCX) yesterday but never made it to the dealership for a test fit in the passenger area. I also looked at all the aftermarket stuff for the PCX, MUCH better than the Hooligan aftermarket support. Oh, Im in the USA. Norfolk, VA to be exact. Dont do covers. If snow comes and I know the scoot is going to get caught in it I will cram it in the garage instead of letting snow sit on it. Works like this for me-Buy, ride, wear out, replace. Usually replace a scooter around 40,000. Genuine Buddy 125 made it to 38,000 (still on the road-needed something bigger), old Helix made it to 90,000 (wreaked it), SYM CityCom got to 39,000 (HARD to gets parts for-done with them), Wifes Buddy 125 is at 10,000 (her baby-we still have it. To tiny for two fatties), old Kymco People 250 got to 30,000ish (sold it to a friend), Zuma 125 got to 26,000 (traded it because of a electrical issue) so thats how we do it with our beaters. Wonder if the dealership with the PCX is open Saturday?

I'm more concerned that it isn't open on a Sunday. Could you call and find out for me please. Ask about Saturday too.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Water doesn't drain out because it doesn't get in.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Water doesn't drain out because it doesn't get in.

Ah but why doesn't it drain in? No one has worried about that before.

I can't sleep now thank you.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I've got the hairdryer ready in case the garage roof leaks.

Who said 'anal"? :lol: :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:I've got the hairdryer ready in case the garage roof leaks.

Who said 'anal"? :lol: :lol:

And the risk of electrocution?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

No dealers here do test rides for the big 3 (Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) but the Genuine/Vespa dealership always lets you take test rides. Thats the main reason I crossed the Burgman 200 off my list, as the seating feels strange even at stand still to me, so no test rides is to much of a comfort risk. Then I have to make sure the wife likes the passenger accommodations first-happy wife = happy husband. Speaking of test rides, I was dropping my wifes Can Am Spyder off for some recall stuff and the dealer just casually tosses me the keys to a Indian Roadmaster while waiting, so no test rides for a PCX is extra stupid! I have to track down the PCX owner that I know and ask to borrow his for the wife and I to test ride. Stupid no test ride policy. And just for you, you you, not only will I see about Sunday I will see if they are open 24 hours during New Years!
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
sc00ter wrote:Thanks! I know that Honda makes good stuff, sometimes with weird issues. All brands have something to hide it seems. Still torn between the 2. The Hooligan has a flat floor, the PCX is liquid cooled. Wife and I were supposed to look at it (PCX) yesterday but never made it to the dealership for a test fit in the passenger area. I also looked at all the aftermarket stuff for the PCX, MUCH better than the Hooligan aftermarket support. Oh, Im in the USA. Norfolk, VA to be exact. Dont do covers. If snow comes and I know the scoot is going to get caught in it I will cram it in the garage instead of letting snow sit on it. Works like this for me-Buy, ride, wear out, replace. Usually replace a scooter around 40,000. Genuine Buddy 125 made it to 38,000 (still on the road-needed something bigger), old Helix made it to 90,000 (wreaked it), SYM CityCom got to 39,000 (HARD to gets parts for-done with them), Wifes Buddy 125 is at 10,000 (her baby-we still have it. To tiny for two fatties), old Kymco People 250 got to 30,000ish (sold it to a friend), Zuma 125 got to 26,000 (traded it because of a electrical issue) so thats how we do it with our beaters. Wonder if the dealership with the PCX is open Saturday?
Not all that uncommon in the US. The dmv is closed on Sundays so there is no one to support registration issues.

I'm more concerned that it isn't open on a Sunday. Could you call and find out for me please. Ask about Saturday too.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Water doesn't drain out because it doesn't get in.

Ah but why doesn't it drain in? No one has worried about that before.

I can't sleep now thank you.
Now I have a headache...
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

If you add your location to your profile, it helps us with assisting you ... just ask WhiteNoise ;-)

My concern with the Hooligan would a servicing it. Are parts readily available for you?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yes, the Hooligan has very good support, close to me (brick-n-mortar) and online in the USA. I have owned 2 other Genuine products in the past and I still have my "baby rattle" blue Buddy 125 sleeper. Also owned 2 Honda Helix scooters, 1 Elite 250 (miss that scoot), 1 CBR900RR and my most missed toy of all-Honda Hawk NTV650, and I have a Honda dealer right down the road. My wife really likes the Honda dealership because they have always been up front with us and go out of their way to get us back on the road when needed. The Genuine dealership has been the same way for me, plus I have been friends with the owner for like 15ish years. I really comes down to final passenger seating preference for the wife. We will end up taking whatever we get light off road, playing on loading dock berms, doing the "roller coaster jump" behind our local Wal-Fart and other stupid things. We did look at a both the Suzuki DR200 & 400 but we dont care to climb on and off, step-thru is the way to go for us. Ride 'em like ya stole 'em!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

sc00ter wrote:really comes down to final passenger seating preference for the wife
Silverwing 600
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

you you wrote: And the risk of electrocution?
I feel so much better now.

Go away :lol: :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:
you you wrote: And the risk of electrocution?
I feel so much better now.

Go away :lol: :lol:

I couldn't be further away silly.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Firstly, welcome and thanks for joining our forum(s) and for adding your location (as kramnala58 mentioned earlier). Nice!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
^^ Look what I found! :D Is this yours? If not, it might have been ;)

Secondly and onward, Happy New Year (and the same to all those reading).

Reads to me that you and your wife have been riding motorbikes for years and know which type(s) suit you. Now, you be asking which to purchase: PCX or Hooligan.

PCX is not a true step-through (I'm sure you'll realize that (or know that) when you swing yer leg over to sit or commence to squeeze your leg through the pass...ever so carefully :D oops! Don't wanna scuff the plastics!) yeah, I'm being a silly now, but truly it can be tight depending on your bod-y. No floor space between feet to place belongings either. But! You can place a properly sized piece of luggage on top of the pass.
Going off the road a bit, are we? And playing games behind Wally World, okay that should work (ask member dasshreddar he's way off the tartop playing in the dirt...But! He altered his PCX beyond what you'd imagine (do a search or look for him in the PCX Performance board).

A thought: What about an enduro? Ever have one? Not me, but if I could do it over, I'd give one a go!

Okay, all ^^ that is, is talk. Up to you (ahem yer wife on the backseat, I should say ;)
I've had a passenger (pillion) for a brief ride and no complaints. In fact I was told it was comfortable.
It's got a lot to do with body size, that's what I'm thinking. Both myself and pillion at less than 300 lbs
And under 6' was like....perfect on the cushions.

I love this scoot. I bet you/your wife will too. But try one first...somehow.
A Hooligan's a Hooligan, we got plenty of them hanging here! :lol:
So what more is there to think about sc00ter?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You