Radiator Air intake sizing for 150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Radiator Air intake sizing for 150

Post by Scoot Commute »

Hi
I have a 2012 mod PCX 150 which has been going fine.

It appears to me that as the year models change subtle variation have occurred to the body work.

Of particular note is the later models appear to have a larger opening along the side panel to capture air before being directed into the radiator.

Just thinking if this was design change perhaps for better cooling.

I ask the question as the 2012 being 125/150 hybrid model seem to share all the same body work and wondering if it was found not to have got sufficient cooling for the 150 model?

I live in Brisbane Australia where sub tropic temperatures can often get up to 35 Deg C, this along with some hills to climb am wondering if I should neatly increase the aperture size or even a small removable cowling to scoop more air through? To date the temp light has not come on but things can get pretty warm after a ride.

Any word out there on the older scoots running in warmer conditions?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Radiator Air intake sizing for 150

Post by waspmike »

The bikes are made near Bangkok which has an average summer temp of about 31C so i doubt you need to do anything. I have not noticed any after market bit to aid airflow. Today it is 34C, tomorrow it is supposed to be 36C

Reducing the quantity of "antifeeze" in the mix down to say 15% or 20% can aid cooling if you are worried.
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

Can you get Redline Water Wetter in Australia? It improves heat transfer to the coolant if you have temperature concerns.
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Scoot Commute »

Thanks guys

I probably didn't want to vary from Honda's recommendation re coolant mix, although the Redline sounds an interesting slant if needed.

I was more thinking of a small temporary ploy carbonate cowling over the inlet to increase air flow as seasons other than summer should be quite temperate.

Initially I was just quizzed as to why the later year models appear to a bit larger opening.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Robbie wrote:Can you get Redline Water Wetter in Australia? It improves heat transfer to the coolant if you have temperature concerns.
Or Motul Ice or...or...

Read this? http://www.challengers101.com/CoolantMix.html

there are other sources.