Oil change light actually works

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Oil change light actually works

Post by davenowherejones »

I found out that my Oil Change light actually works and is reasonably accurate. I have 25755 km on the 2014 Honda Forza. It is time to do an oil change and time to replace a spark plug. The oil change is cheap, the spark plug is expensive (Why ???)

I should look in the book to see what else I should be doing.

I got 91.5 miles per Canadian gallon today. Or 32.5 km/litre. My mpg always seems to be higher when it is hot out (Why ???)

The rear brakes seem to be holding up. Rounding off the sharp edges on the pads may have helped. The high temperature silicone brake grease may have helped also.

I am way overdue for a new Michelin CityGrip on the rear. My tire guy still has not got a tire for me. The rear has 15936 km and is getting quite bald but still works well in the rain (Why ???)

The belt has 25755 km on it. I have a replacement factory belt but I would like an experienced mechanic to install it. I could do it but I would be forever guessing if I did it right. No guarantee a real mechanic does it right though. The dealer has good people but they are busy doing stuff for the fair weather weekend riders and told me I had to wait my turn. The gall of them. I am David Jones!!!
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Oil change light actually works

Post by chicaboo »

davenowherejones wrote:My mpg always seems to be higher when it is hot out (Why ???)
Colder air is more dense and therefore requires more fuel to be burned to remain stoich.
So you should get less mpg when it's cold, but make more power (not appreciable on a scooter).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Belt change is really simple, no need to pay a mechanic.
All you need are tools to hold the clutch and variator.
You can use a large strap wrench for the clutch and a variator holder can be had from eBay, Amazon etc for much cheapness or you can make your own.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

Cold Air is denser and holds less Humidity.
So each combustion has more Oxygen in it.
The fuel burns better as a result, = more power from the same volume of fuel = more efficient.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:My mpg always seems to be higher when it is hot out (Why ???)
Colder air is more dense and therefore requires more fuel to be burned to remain stoich.
So you should get less mpg when it's cold, but make more power (not appreciable on a scooter).

Please don't upset them about the sparrows phart of scooter horsepower, they might be wanting to tune the shit out it. Then complain about the windblast :D :D
Azrof
Color: red

Post by Azrof »

davenowherejones wrote:I found out that my Oil Change light actually works and is reasonably accurate. I have 25755 km on the 2014 Honda Forza. It is time to do an oil change and time to replace a spark plug. The oil change is cheap, the spark plug is expensive (Why ???)

I should look in the book to see what else I should be doing.

I got 91.5 miles per Canadian gallon today. Or 32.5 km/litre. My mpg always seems to be higher when it is hot out (Why ???)

The rear brakes seem to be holding up. Rounding off the sharp edges on the pads may have helped. The high temperature silicone brake grease may have helped also.

I am way overdue for a new Michelin CityGrip on the rear. My tire guy still has not got a tire for me. The rear has 15936 km and is getting quite bald but still works well in the rain (Why ???)

The belt has 25755 km on it. I have a replacement factory belt but I would like an experienced mechanic to install it. I could do it but I would be forever guessing if I did it right. No guarantee a real mechanic does it right though. The dealer has good people but they are busy doing stuff for the fair weather weekend riders and told me I had to wait my turn. The gall of them. I am David Jones!!!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK, I did my oil change today. I had a few half empty oil bottles so I mixed them, synthetic 10w30 (250 ml), Honda 10w40 (1 litre), no name 30w (150 ml). I am not positive that the synthetic was 10w30, it smelled funny.

A friend of mine is a medical doctor who is a pilot. He added a litre of "oil" to the airplane engine and then noticed it had a peculiar smell. Someone had used an empty oil bottle as a urinal and left it in the airplane. I am not sure if the Doc flew on this combination or had an oil change first.

I don't want to turn this into an oil thread. In third world countries these engines run forever on whatever they have.

I changed the spark plug with the factory tool but I have no idea on how to get a torque wrench into that tight spot. I think it is tight enough. It works so it must be OK.

I also tried to get a torque wrench on the exhaust nuts by the cylinder. Nothing fits in that tight space. I did manage to tighten up the replacement stainless steel clamp holding the muffler to the pipe.

I next attempted to change the belt. I got all of the covers off but I chickened out of taking the clutch off. I know I could get it all apart but I wasn't positive I could get it back together. I probably need some o-rings replacing. The wheel makes some awful noises when it is rotated. Bearings??? Or brakes dragging? I am hearing impaired so I am going to have a Honda tech listen and tell me the problems. He can change the belt at the same time.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

I could be wrong but I've heard that you can only mix oils with the same viscosity.
Mixing 10w30 and 10w40 together might be a bad idea.

I think 2 people on this board replaced a bearing in the back wheel on the Forza 300 at about 20,000km. Gn2 is one of them.
With the engine running and turning the wheel backwards made the noise I think?

Edit: Read this thread..... http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5530
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

E.F., My Honda guy says it doesn't hurt to mix 10/30 and 10/40 from time to time on a top-off, but he says the big no-no is mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oils in any amount, so Dave, I don't know if you're on the right track if you do that. The Honda guy could be wrong, but I've heard that about synth and non-synth several other places as well. That would make me nervous if it were my scooter.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

montliz44 wrote:E.F., My Honda guy says it doesn't hurt to mix 10/30 and 10/40 from time to time on a top-off, but he says the big no-no is mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oils in any amount, so Dave, I don't know if you're on the right track if you do that. The Honda guy could be wrong, but I've heard that about synth and non-synth several other places as well. That would make me nervous if it were my scooter.

Johnny
Yeah he's wrong… You can mix syn and non syn all you want. Oil companies would be in a world of hurt if this was true.

Spend some time at bobistheoilguy.com for other oil myths.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

This is not an oil thread. It is about a lightbulb.

BUT I heard that your left testicle will fall off if you use the wrong oil.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:This is not an oil thread. It is about a lightbulb.

May do if you don't wash your hands after handling oil
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

davenowherejones wrote:This is not an oil thread. It is about a lightbulb.

So THAT'S what happened!

Johnny
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Jge64,

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at that.

Johnny