03 Burgman 400

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

03 Burgman 400

Post by flyingzonker »

I have a chance to buy a 03 Burgman 400 for 2500. It has 5000 miles on it. I wonder if anyone here has had experience with a Burgman 400 or any scooter of similar displacement. I ask myself if it would be necessary to have a big scooter like that when I already have a Reflex 250--which I love a lot. If I do get the Burgman, I will then have three maxi scooters and one of them will have to sit outside under a cover. Still I am tempted by the Burgman. He is asking 2500$.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Re: 03 Burgman 400

Post by honkerman »

The Burger is a good machine, though I'd try to get a better deal. That's way too much for that machine. I'd pay no more than 2 grand and only if it was in perfect condition, and to be honest, I'd shoot more in the 16-1800 range. Granted, it's not a perfect resource, but kbb values it around 2300 retail for an excellent example. Street value I've found to be about halfway between trade value and retail.

Back to the machine itself, the Burger is just about the best maxi-scooter out there.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

13 yr old scooter with one year's mileage.
Whole lot of parts are going to be tired from sitting.
Seems it would take a lot of time and money to bring it up to safe/reliable condition. $2500 seems way too much.....offer $1500 and then walk. Let him think about it. If it sells to someone else. ....better for you. Asking too much for 13 yr old scooter.
Fish
PS: I own a new 400 Burgman.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

honkerman wrote:The Burger is a good machine, though I'd try to get a better deal. That's way too much for that machine. I'd pay no more than 2 grand and only if it was in perfect condition, and to be honest, I'd shoot more in the 16-1800 range. Granted, it's not a perfect resource, but kbb values it around 2300 retail for an excellent example. Street value I've found to be about halfway between trade value and retail.

Back to the machine itself, the Burger is just about the best maxi-scooter out there.
I am glad to have that info. I did not intend to give him his full ask--I learned that from my mama, a natural buyer-seller, who ALWAYS haggled--but I had no idea what I would offer. At one time I knew about Kelly, but it slipped through one of my many cracks.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

fish wrote:13 yr old scooter with one year's mileage.
Whole lot of parts are going to be tired from sitting.
Seems it would take a lot of time and money to bring it up to safe/reliable condition. $2500 seems way too much.....offer $1500 and then walk. Let him think about it. If it sells to someone else. ....better for you. Asking too much for 13 yr old scooter.
Fish
PS: I own a new 400 Burgman.

I am inclined to follow your advice--I just wish the seller were a little less of a nice guy.

There is a moral here--when you are selling something, treat you're prospective buyer in a way that makes it hard for him to haggle. Come to think of it, this is a good way to treat everyone all the time--I mean, don't they say that we all all in the business of selling ourselves?

All the same, money is money and I ain't gonna give up none of mine without a fight!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Following the advice of Honkerman and Fish, I have made an offer of 1700$ on the Burgman--800$ below the ask. I have not yet gotten a reply--I made the offer through Craigslist email.

I am as much afraid to be accepted as I am to be declined.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:Following the advice of Honkerman and Fish, I have made an offer of 1700$ on the Burgman--800$ below the ask. I have not yet gotten a reply--I made the offer through Craigslist email.

Know the feeling well :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Pity it's a 2003 and not a 2007-
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:Following the advice of Honkerman and Fish, I have made an offer of 1700$ on the Burgman--800$ below the ask. I have not yet gotten a reply--I made the offer through Craigslist email.
Know the feeling well :D
Buyers remorse is a nasty feeling ... been there, done that, doing that.

Presently in communication with a few different sellers through Craigslist regarding a Honda Silverwing, Suzuki Burgman and a Yamaha Majesty once we arrive back in the US in just over 24 hours .... decisions, decisions. Hrrmmmm, what to do?

:D :( Both feelings at the same time.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

kramnala58 wrote:Hrrmmmm, what to do?
Sit with a sheet of paper and write down all the characteristics you need/want from a scooter

Next, assess how each model fits with your list of needs/wants and list it on the paper

Then after that process, screw up the paper, throw it in the bin and buy the one you think looks the sexiest! :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:
..... Then after that process, screw up the paper, throw it in the bin and buy the one you think looks the sexiest! :lol:
Maybe that is why your NC750S/Forza poll is 8-0 for the NC750S. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Just to let you know, I bought a 2006 Burgman 400 for $3500 in 2012. It had a grand total of 2 miles on it. Brand New! However, it had been sitting for so long that I had it trucked over to the motorcycle shop where they had to take it apart and check everything for dry rot and bad fluids. In the end it added another $600 to the cost, but it turned out to be an excellent machine. I put 10,000 miles on it before I traded down to what my wife was riding...the PCX 150. Before they could even take it back to the shop to wash it someone bought it. That is how good a machine it is.
The 2003 and 2006 were almost identical. I would love to have another one. Unfortunately, I am getting a bit old and do the do near as much riding get as I use to.
If you buy the Burgman, find out when it was last serviced including oil change, which you can do yourself. Check tires for dry rot and brake fluid for color. Once it is deemed OK to ride, you will have a lot of fun on it. However, a scooter is only worth what you will pay for it. I think $2,000 is the max I would pay for a 2003 in excellent condition.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Sit with a sheet of paper and write down all the characteristics you need/want from a scooter

Next, assess how each model fits with your list of needs/wants and list it on the paper

Then after that process, screw up the paper, throw it in the bin and buy the one you think looks the sexiest! :lol:

Agree
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:Just to let you know, I bought a 2006 Burgman 400 for $3500 in 2012. It had a grand total of 2 miles on it. Brand New! However, it had been sitting for so long that I had it trucked over to the motorcycle shop where they had to take it apart and check everything for dry rot and bad fluids. In the end it added another $600 to the cost, but it turned out to be an excellent machine. I put 10,000 miles on it before I traded down to what my wife was riding...the PCX 150. Before they could even take it back to the shop to wash it someone bought it. That is how good a machine it is.
The 2003 and 2006 were almost identical. I would love to have another one. Unfortunately, I am getting a bit old and do the do near as much riding get as I use to.
If you buy the Burgman, find out when it was last serviced including oil change, which you can do yourself. Check tires for dry rot and brake fluid for color. Once it is deemed OK to ride, you will have a lot of fun on it. However, a scooter is only worth what you will pay for it. I think $2,000 is the max I would pay for a 2003 in excellent condition.
They are similar to the Yamaha Majesty 400--a number of which are available in my area. Since I haven't heard back from my prospective seller, I may look into those. My feeling is that this seller is unwilling to haggle even a little. Such persons should be in retail--not on Craigslist. To such as him, I hoist the middle digit.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

gn2 wrote:

Maybe a pink Vespa--one of those nice retros?
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Here is the Burgman 400 I fiinally bought--an 06. 2900$, 9500 miles. I traded my 07 Reflex on the deal. I got 1500 for that. In all, with registration fee, doc fee, tax, etc., I paid out 1900 in cash. If I'd had my head screwed on tight I would have said: OK, I will give you 1600$. Take or leave. I think they would have taken--business is slow these days. But...

Standing nearby is my beloved PCX.
Attachments
burgpcx.PNG
burgpcx.PNG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1710 times
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Ishkabibble »

I almost bought a Burgman 400.

2007, guy was asking $3K

Guy wouldn't come off his asking price, and I walked.

He called me two weeks later, three days after I got Natasha, and asked if I was still interested at $3500....
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Ishkabibble wrote:I almost bought a Burgman 400.

2007, guy was asking $3K

Guy wouldn't come off his asking price, and I walked.

He called me two weeks later, three days after I got Natasha, and asked if I was still interested at $3500....
I'm not sure I understand this: He was asking 3000. You made an offer, he refused. Two weeks later he offered the bike to you for 500 more and you accepted? There's something wrong with this picture.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I understand. :geek:
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster