Heated Grips for PCX - recommendations

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Heated Grips for PCX - recommendations

Post by Cracksta »

Hi guys,

Never had these, are they worth it as I ride all season unless theres snow or ice?

I have winter gloves but these only slow my hands down from being frozen during winter.

Which one do you recommend and do you fit these on permanently or remove at summer?

Also is there a how to guide? if not I'll try make one.

Thanks
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Heated Grips for PCX - recommendations

Post by maddiedog »

There's no how-to yet. We've been discussing the Honda ones here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=643

Every universal kit will install a bit different... If I made a how-to, I'd follow the 12V accessory plug how-to, then splice in the heaters to that circuit.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

oxford sport version for me work a treat
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

trigg123 wrote:oxford sport version for me work a treat
ditto for oxford originals
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

no mention of the R&G heated grips nor the oxford light versions?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cracksta wrote:no mention of the R&G heated grips nor the oxford light versions?
Are you recomending them?
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

not yet but heard good things, seems everyone is using different versions.

want to get some heated grips soon but dont want to get the wrong one where its not hot enough through the gloves.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cracksta wrote:not yet but heard good things, seems everyone is using different versions.

want to get some heated grips soon but dont want to get the wrong one where its not hot enough through the gloves.

That would depend on the gloves too, to some extent
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

I fancy getting some heated gloves cost about the same and you can take the heat with you ;)
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Why dont you all just move to a country with nice weather ;) We are coming into summer now!
edgdasilva

Post by edgdasilva »

Hi there,

Im having some problem after i installed Oxford hot grip on my pcx 2012 or maybe is an other problem
but all started now after 3 of installation.
So basically i made jump start to start the motorbike today because nothing was working i start ride the bike and on the first closed traffic lights the engine stops (idle stop),when the lights open i just acelerate the bike and nothing works all the bike lights was off.So I pushed the bike back home i made jump start again but now i disconnect the hot grip and im not using idle and everything works fine.
So someone know if was because of the hot grip,idle problem or something else?

PLEASE HELP ME
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

how have you wired the hot grips, is it always on?

could it be you left it on and the battery is drained? try charging up your battery and see if that helps.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

edgdasilva wrote:Hi there,

Im having some problem after i installed Oxford hot grip on my pcx 2012 or maybe is an other problem
but all started now after 3 of installation.
So basically i made jump start to start the motorbike today because nothing was working i start ride the bike and on the first closed traffic lights the engine stops (idle stop),when the lights open i just acelerate the bike and nothing works all the bike lights was off.So I pushed the bike back home i made jump start again but now i disconnect the hot grip and im not using idle and everything works fine.
So someone know if was because of the hot grip,idle problem or something else?

PLEASE HELP ME
Where did you wire in the grips?
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

been testing my honda heated grips and they do get quite warm when the bike is running long enough. my problem is that there are so many stops that they often dont get a chance to warm up, but at least they dont drain the battery since they shut off and on automatically when the bike is idling or in idle stop.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

haildamage wrote:my problem is that there are so many stops that they often dont get a chance to warm up
The simple cure for that one is don't use the idle stop when the heated grips are on.
The fuel saved with the idle stop is very minimal, maybe a couple of litres in a calendar year of regular use.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

gn2 wrote:
haildamage wrote:my problem is that there are so many stops that they often dont get a chance to warm up
The simple cure for that one is don't use the idle stop when the heated grips are on.
The fuel saved with the idle stop is very minimal, maybe a couple of litres in a calendar year of regular use.
i tried that and found that i need to rev the engine quite a bit, enough to need to hold the brake fully to keep the bike from going to get the revs high enough to get the grips on. the grips turn off on idle as well as on idle stop.
edgdasilva

Post by edgdasilva »

I connect on the battery

Do you think idle take alot of the battery, maybe not good to use both at the sametime
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

haildamage wrote:i tried that and found that i need to rev the engine quite a bit, enough to need to hold the brake fully to keep the bike from going to get the revs high enough to get the grips on. the grips turn off on idle as well as on idle stop.
That's not good then.
A lot of money for something that just doesn't work as it should.
If it was me I would be furious and demand a full refund.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

they are meant to work like that. it is just that some of my commutes are too urban with too much stop and go traffic. they are good enough for everything except around freezing. i think the way to go is to get some bar muffs though.

http://scooter-wear.com/tucano-urbano/t ... ebar-muffs
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Maybe that is how they are designed to operate but their purpose is to keep your hands warm and they can't if they are switched off, so the design is no good.
Muffs work, I've used them in the past but fond them cumbersome.
These days I just use decent gloves.
Peoples hot/cold tolerances are different though, whereas I'm OK with just my gloves for commuting in sub zero temperatures, other people probably wouldn't be.