Winter Clothing and Accessories

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Frantisek
Year: 2016
Color: Bloody RED

Winter Clothing and Accessories

Post by Frantisek »

Hi,

do you ride yours during winter?

Something like -10 Celsius Degrees. I went to moto shop but the blond girl obviously had no idea how to ride in winter cause she was offering me a normal hood... I got jeans with knee protectors and very good jacket but anyways.. Scooter. Winter. What do you recommend? :D

Regarding Tyres - what should i look into?
fbsf
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Grey

Re: Winter Clothing and Accessories

Post by fbsf »

Hi Frantisek,

I do ride in winter (although this will be my first year on the PCX), but we don't generally get temperatures as low as yours. Minus 5 would be a really cold day in the UK, and last winter it only just got below zero for a few days - it was mainly wet and windy.

But when I ride, I'll wear leather trousers and a textile jacket with quilted construction-worker-hi-viz overjacket and trousers over the top (they are cheap and really effective), winter gloves and handlebar muffs, some sort of snood to stop my throat freezing and *definitely* a pinlock visor insert to stop fogging. at -10 I'd probably be tempted by handlebar muffs and heated grips.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

I spent 4 years working in Austria and suspect there will be many weeks where you will not be able to ride, no matter what tyres you have.
I would use a Theromscud, heated grips, large Givi screen and large handguards. With a thermoscud you should have a good quality textile jacket and then be good to go.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

DAB wrote:I spent 4 years working in Austria and suspect there will be many weeks where you will not be able to ride, no matter what tyres you have.
I would use a Theromscud, heated grips, large Givi screen and large handguards. With a thermoscud you should have a good quality textile jacket and then be good to go.
I'm living next door between Slovakia and Austria, and rode all the way during the last winter on the PCX (except in sleet, during snowing and below -12deg C).
DAB is on the stuff. I use a thermoscoud, heated grips, boots, snowboarding gloves and the medium sized GIVI/Kappa screen. So far I managed without handguards - but might give them a try this year.
As for tires I use Heidenau K66 (these are used by most of my scooter courier friends during winter) 110/80R14 at the front and 120/80R14 at the back. If they will wear out, I'll probably change to K66 M+S Snowtex for winter, and keep using the Michelins for the summer.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Link for winter tyres.
Look at the bottom of the page for your county's flag to get a local site.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... zeugart=MO

The sizes are 100/90 x14 for the rear and 90/90 x 14 the front.

I've used them a few times and found them reasonably cheap. You will need to get them fitted if you can't do them yourself.