My New Honda PCX 125cc

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

My New Honda PCX 125cc

Post by gregsta »

ImageImage

Just pick this up today have done about 24 miles on it today, comes fitted with Michelin CITY GRIP what is awesome. Differently more pokey than my old 14 plate, just a lovely bike to ride. I would describe it as smooth. its a bit wider bike now than my old one and the ABS front break is just lovely.

I feel a lot more safer on this bike can't really say what top speed is but I did get it to 68 at one point on the motorway. They do say at the dealers not to really use this on the motorway but I found it fine and it goes past lorries easily.

Tires are wider on front and back.

I am in love :lol:

I did take it round some country roads and it handle amazingly the ABS works a treat.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: My New Honda PCX 125cc

Post by GatorGreg »

Very nice! Looks great in red - all we get in USA is "bright bronze metallic". Is yours a 125 or 150?
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

GatorGreg wrote:Very nice! Looks great in red - all we get in USA is "bright bronze metallic". Is yours a 125 or 150?
It only a 125 as that's all were aloud to ride on l's in the uk

Their were only grey and white ones in the show room left but I asked for red. Luckily they were having a delivery the next day so I got the colour I wanted. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I bought my wife's PCX back in 2012 (it is considered a 2013 year model) the dealer didn't have red on the showroom floor. My wife told the sales person that if they had it in red she would buy it. They were unloading a truck in the back, and there was only 1 PCX on it. Since it was in a crate and had to be assembled, they had to actually climb up onto the truck and read the description on the crate...which said RED PCX 150!

We signed the papers and went to lunch while they uncrated it and set it up (oil, air in tires, clean it, etc.). It took them a couple of hours, so we did some shopping too....not much, since we were on my Burgman 400.

The weird part came after we came back to pick it up. My wife found that she was on tip toes when balancing the PCX so she was afraid to ride it home. Hmmm...That was unforseen.

We ended up going home without it, leaving the Burgman at home and taking the car back to the dealer so that I could ride the little "guy" home. (She named the bike. Is that a girl thing??)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

im guessing the state makes you have that big L on your wind screen
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

big bear wrote:im guessing the state makes you have that big L on your wind screen
That was were the dealer put it, but that the same place I had it on my old pcx, I actually don't know the answer to that question I never thought about it.

It does look rubbish on there.
Last edited by gregsta on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

Mel46 wrote:When I bought my wife's PCX back in 2012 (it is considered a 2013 year model) the dealer didn't have red on the showroom floor. My wife told the sales person that if they had it in red she would buy it. They were unloading a truck in the back, and there was only 1 PCX on it. Since it was in a crate and had to be assembled, they had to actually climb up onto the truck and read the description on the crate...which said RED PCX 150!

We signed the papers and went to lunch while they uncrated it and set it up (oil, air in tires, clean it, etc.). It took them a couple of hours, so we did some shopping too....not much, since we were on my Burgman 400.

The weird part came after we came back to pick it up. My wife found that she was on tip toes when balancing the PCX so she was afraid to ride it home. Hmmm...That was unforseen.

We ended up going home without it, leaving the Burgman at home and taking the car back to the dealer so that I could ride the little "guy" home. (She named the bike. Is that a girl thing??)
I wanted red but would of took any colour to get it one day faster but my mrs forced me to wait for the red. So glad she did. My mrs drives the car and has not gave our car a name. Women do love doing things like that.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

big bear wrote:im guessing the state makes you have that big L on your wind screen
It's got to be visible and not obscured so might get away with front mud guard.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

gregsta wrote:
You might be better with one of those fork mounted L Plates that you see on amazon etc.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Some people cut the L down, but take the risk of being pulled over as it makes it illegal and in theory, insurance void. My dealer stuck it on the screen like that.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

Oldie wrote:
gregsta wrote:
You might be better with one of those fork mounted L Plates that you see on amazon etc.
Am ok with the way it is, it's not really worried me, even when I fitted a bigger screen on my old pcx it was in the middle. I will soon be buying a new screen but just not willing to pay for one from the honda dealership.
Martin J
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

Nice! Mine's 6 months old, and I wish I'd waited for the new model now.
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

About the only things that are REALLY new on the PCX are the LED lights and the ABS brake in front. Be happy just to have a PCX. They are amazing little bikes...and all of them will eventually be "Last Year's Model", so just enjoy what you have when you have it. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

The L-Plate rule in the UK is a typical fudge (probably suggested by car lobbyists) and puts riders at risk because many drivers instinctively seek to get out ahead of 'beginners'. You could be driving cars all your life, pass your CBT (one-day) <125cc training, but you STILL have to wear the plate forever AND pay to renew your CBT every two years. It's no wonder so few people ride bikes in the UK. It's deliberately off-putting. The potential savings made by choosing to ride a bike but not wanting the plate are wiped out by a full motorbike license training and the official tests, which between them can cost £800-£1000. The whole thing is a scam.
G'Bru
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

yes its alot easier in pennsylvania took my test on the pcx and got a full motorcycle endorsment but ill never ride anything bigger than my x max but i could ride a gold wing if i wanted
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

gbru2505 wrote:The L-Plate rule in the UK is a typical fudge (probably suggested by car lobbyists) and puts riders at risk because many drivers instinctively seek to get out ahead of 'beginners'. You could be driving cars all your life, pass your CBT (one-day) <125cc training, but you STILL have to wear the plate forever AND pay to renew your CBT every two years. It's no wonder so few people ride bikes in the UK. It's deliberately off-putting. The potential savings made by choosing to ride a bike but not wanting the plate are wiped out by a full motorbike license training and the official tests, which between them can cost £800-£1000. The whole thing is a scam.
I believe it's changing soon - 2 days instead of 1 so a CBT will cost a lot more, but I heard that after a while you can sit one test and be licenced forever on a 125 - but not sure about that. Also, unitl the past 1-2 years, if you passed a CBT on an autopmatic you could not ride a geared 125, but a year ago the CBT states either - that's dangerous allowing someone to ride a geared bike on the road having passed on a scooter.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

Mel46 wrote:About the only things that are REALLY new on the PCX are the LED lights and the ABS brake in front. Be happy just to have a PCX. They are amazing little bikes...and all of them will eventually be "Last Year's Model", so just enjoy what you have when you have it. :-)
That is not true the wheels are wider rims are larger, they put better suspension on the back they have changed the engine the bike is more poker, their is a digital disply. The seat space is bigger the bike is wider and they have put a different exhaust on it.
Its a lot better bike to ride.

I had a honda pcx 2014 before this one and I think this is a far nicer bike to that one.

And I have heard a review were a guy called this a premium scooter now, because of the price hike and all the upgrades
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

iceman wrote:
gbru2505 wrote:The L-Plate rule in the UK is a typical fudge (probably suggested by car lobbyists) and puts riders at risk because many drivers instinctively seek to get out ahead of 'beginners'. You could be driving cars all your life, pass your CBT (one-day) <125cc training, but you STILL have to wear the plate forever AND pay to renew your CBT every two years. It's no wonder so few people ride bikes in the UK. It's deliberately off-putting. The potential savings made by choosing to ride a bike but not wanting the plate are wiped out by a full motorbike license training and the official tests, which between them can cost £800-£1000. The whole thing is a scam.
I believe it's changing soon - 2 days instead of 1 so a CBT will cost a lot more, but I heard that after a while you can sit one test and be licenced forever on a 125 - but not sure about that. Also, unitl the past 1-2 years, if you passed a CBT on an autopmatic you could not ride a geared 125, but a year ago the CBT states either - that's dangerous allowing someone to ride a geared bike on the road having passed on a scooter.
You can already do that in this country do a full test on a 125. I would never take a big bike test. If they make it to hard or as hard as a car test and what I have just read it might be heading that way. Your just go and take your driving test. We will see what happens. If they make it to hard I would just go and take my car test. Why would you choose car over a motorbike your just not going to do that.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

Mel46 wrote:About the only things that are REALLY new on the PCX are the LED lights and the ABS brake in front. Be happy just to have a PCX. They are amazing little bikes...and all of them will eventually be "Last Year's Model", so just enjoy what you have when you have it. :-)

I would listen to this review then you can make your own mind up, But I personally would say it a different bike now. :|
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I guess I am looking at it from the perspective that most riders who have a 2013 model have done most of the upgrades themselves that they had asked Honda to do, except for LED lights and ABS brakes.

I improved my rear suspension, added a tall windshield, replaced the seat, put on better tires (Some owners have even put wider tires on), and I even upgraded my headlights. I also added LED tail lights as well. In the end, I have the more powerful engine and have done most of the other upgrades we had suggested to Honda.

So, The point is that at some point the "last Year's model" is not much different from the newest model, so be happy with it and just ride it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150