New to scooting

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jforce

New to scooting

Post by jforce »

Hello everyone. I owned a Suzuki SV1000s awhile back, but never really had time to ride it so it was sold. Then I moved to LA a few months back and decided to sell my car in favor of something that can get me through traffic quickly while getting awesome gas mileage.

The PCX 150 entered the pictured and I have never looked back. My commute is about 5 miles and I have logged 200 miles on the scoot. Although I'm not gettin the 100+mpg, more like 80 probably because I'm a bigger guy.

With that being said I'm 6'6" and 225lbs, but I fit comfortably at least for my commute distance. I haven't tried raising the handlebars yet but I did do a humpectomy at a local upholestry shop for $100 and got a sweet embroidery of my college logo. I can now slide back a few inches and really get the legroom I wanted. Pictures below and I look foward to all discussions PCX related as I am really enjoying the scoot.
Attachments
New scoot
New scoot
my pcx.jpg (223.14 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
New seat
New seat
New seat.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: New to scooting

Post by dasshreddar »

welcome. :) I got the same pcx, you must be riding way leaned back. I'm 6'3'' and had to extreme mod my pcx, to be comfortable. :lol:
you should at least lean the bars forward a inch or two, it will be much easier on you. ;)
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Im 6' 3.5" and long arms so tilted my handle bars as far fwd as possible. Then when I bought a tall windscreen I realised my mirrors hit the screen on full lock, fixed that with mirror extenders and different mirrors!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jforce wrote:Hello everyone. I owned a Suzuki SV1000s awhile back, but never really had time to ride it so it was sold. Then I moved to LA a few months back and decided to sell my car in favor of something that can get me through traffic quickly while getting awesome gas mileage.

The PCX 150 entered the pictured and I have never looked back. My commute is about 5 miles and I have logged 200 miles on the scoot. Although I'm not gettin the 100+mpg, more like 80 probably because I'm a bigger guy.

With that being said I'm 6'6" and 225lbs, but I fit comfortably at least for my commute distance. I haven't tried raising the handlebars yet but I did do a humpectomy at a local upholestry shop for $100 and got a sweet embroidery of my college logo. I can now slide back a few inches and really get the legroom I wanted. Pictures below and I look foward to all discussions PCX related as I am really enjoying the scoot.

The seat looks good. Is the cover one piece?

You don't look 6,6 and 226lbs....
jforce

Post by jforce »

Yup. The new cover is all one piece. New fabric reccmmended by the upholestry guy. He said he could even go multiple tones, but then there would be exposed stiching which could hold water and not repel as well as a single piece. Its basically stretched around the entire seat and stapled underneath, so no changes to how the seat connects to the bike or locks.

The first shot has my 3 year old checking it out and he thinks its pretty cool. I don't seem to lean back very far and my reach is good, but I do think an inch or two increase to the height of the handlebars would be more comfortable as opposed to tilting them foward.

I'm actually tracking the the Forza 300i to and curious if it will come to the states. The PCX meets all my needs really well but I could always use a little extra oomph off the line to get in front of traffic.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If the Forza doesn't make it, there's always the Kymco Downtown 300i which has a bit more oomph.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Hello, and welcome to the forums!
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jforce

Post by jforce »

I took a look at the kymco downtown 300i and I'm jsut not 100% comfortable with the reputation behind the brand. If I'm going to drop that kind of cash on a scooter, I'd rather put it into a suzuki, yamaha, or honda, but then again I'm still farily new to scooters.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Kymco used to build for Honda, they currently build the engines for BMW's new Maxi-Scoots.
They are a long established manufacturer with a very good reputation within the industry.
The Downtown's build quality is at least on a par with that of the Honda PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

I think the only problem with Kymco is the lack of storage space given its engine size compared to its competitors. I could let that all go, as the Downtown just looks like a really sweet ride.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hello jforce, welcome to you and your adorable little fella! So, am I understanding correctly here? Are you in the market for a scoot to replace your beloved PCX? I have often wondered how taller folk manage on the PCX without feeling cramped. But the more I read the more I get it. Ya'll just make adjustments until you get comfortable. Does having long legs on a low seat make for awkward stopping? Just thought of this now :roll: just wondering.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
jforce

Post by jforce »

I would not part with my pcx, more like in addition to. It gets awesome mpgs, fits easily between cars, and really gives me all the all the pick up and go that I need for my commute. I'm afraid if I got something like a burgman or majesty I would be forced to sit in traffic as they have big backyards.

With all that being said, I would prefer a bigger scoot for longer rides, but other than my commute I'm usually driving the family wagon with the kids, so for now I just plan on tweaking the pcx. I have to brake hard only a handful of times and it can cause me to slide foward a bit, but its no big deal to re adjust. I might invest in one of those airmax seats to put me up another inch or so and provide some extra comfort.