Dipstick shows low oil on one side, but fine on the other?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Dipstick shows low oil on one side, but fine on the other?

Post by romnation »

I've tried reading the dipstick several times, and cleaning it and one side shows the oil between the marks. the other side shows it barely touching the crossthatched area. Is the oil level fine if just one side is between the marks? Or do both sides need to be? Yes I have been following the instructions per the manual regarding warmup and checking the reading on the center stand.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Dipstick shows low oil on one side, but fine on the othe

Post by Jge64 »

Clean the dipstick and set it back in the hole, turn it the opposite way (loosen) 360°, one complete turn , and then read it. But to answer your question, as long as it’s wet halfway up the dipstick on one side, that’s all you need.

Best thing Yamaha ever did is using a sight glass , instead of a dipstick. So much easier.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Homie suggests,
"Ride on the high side, only."
Fish
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

If you put the dipstick in perpendicular to the oil you will magically notice why the hashmarks are at an angle on the stick! It sounds like you're putting it in parallel to the oil. You need to rotate 90 degrees.

Made this crude drawing for you to illustrate what I mean. In my example the oil is at 3.5 out of the 5 hash marks. 8)

I hope this makes sense on paper. :lol:
dipstick.jpg
dipstick.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:If you put the dipstick in perpendicular to the oil you will magically notice why the hashmarks are at an angle on the stick! It sounds like you're putting it in parallel to the oil. You need to rotate 90 degrees.

Made this crude drawing for you to illustrate what I mean. In my example the oil is at 3.5 out of the 5 hash marks. 8)

I hope this makes sense on paper. :lol:
dipstick.jpg
Nice going, good example.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I thought the hash marks were to collect and hold the slippery stuff so level could be "read".
Anyway, always love visuals.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a PCX and still am not sure where the oil level should be. On a pcx the hash marks are at the bottom of the stick. I have been keeping the oil within the hash Mark's, but there is a lot of stick and just a tiny amount of hash marks. Where should the oil appear on this stick?
MyPCXdipstick.jpg
MyPCXdipstick.jpg (297.62 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

When I had my PCX it was tough sometimes to see where the oil level was against the dark plastic. I'd look for "shine" in sun from oil residue. When the oil is new and really clean it's hard to tell. As it gets more miles on it and darker it may be easier to read but usually by then it should have already been changed if it's really gunky.

Also, after wiping the oil stick dry, I'd reinsert the oil stick into the crankcase (did not screw it in), remove it, and I'd carefully run my index finger along the top edge of the oil level mark and work my way down until I noticed oil on my finger. That way I had both a visual and physical reference. It's important to try and avoid hitting the sides of the oil filler neck which could leave a false indication. Just my two cents worth. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I have a PCX and still am not sure where the oil level should be. On a pcx the hash marks are at the bottom of the stick. I have been keeping the oil within the hash Mark's, but there is a lot of stick and just a tiny amount of hash marks. Where should the oil appear on this stick?
MyPCXdipstick.jpg

On the hash marks but not over.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

romnation wrote:I've tried reading the dipstick several times, and cleaning it and one side shows the oil between the marks. the other side shows it barely touching the crossthatched area. Is the oil level fine if just one side is between the marks? Or do both sides need to be? Yes I have been following the instructions per the manual regarding warmup and checking the reading on the center stand.

Did you lean over when poring the oil in? Rookie mistake. Pour some more in whilst leaning the opposite way. :lol: