Tired of Buying Tyres

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Tired of Buying Tyres

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote: Get rid and stump up for a new tyre. Plugging a tyre is ok but inner tubes on a tubeless tyre isn't good
Why not?

If it's balanced and under pressure, it's completely fine. The bead seats tighter on tubeless tires, so I see absolutely no risk here.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote: Get rid and stump up for a new tyre. Plugging a tyre is ok but inner tubes on a tubeless tyre isn't good
Why not?

If it's balanced and under pressure, it's completely fine. The bead seats tighter on tubeless tires, so I see absolutely no risk here.
I was told years ago never to put a tube in a tubeless wheel due to the tube, on occasions being able to move, causing failure at the valve/rubber connection.
Remember tubed tyres, when punctured generally deflate very quickly because the valve/wheel contact is not airtight.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

OK now I'm confused, I have heard the same about putting a tube in a tubeless tyre before but had no problems when I did,tull I got another flat shortly after which is the problem in the first place.

It is so frustrating I can't put it into words, 4 punctures in 12 months is just unheard of from what I can gather from people on here and other bikers I speak to...

If I stump up for a new tyre,which isn't a problem in itself but at my current rate i would be doing that every 4 months!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:
Why not?
Generally its not recommended by the trade but it depends on the tyre the tube is being fitted into.
Some tubeless tyres have large internal ridges which can cause the tube to wear and burst.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

RichyP wrote:OK now I'm confused, I have heard the same about putting a tube in a tubeless tyre before but had no problems when I did,tull I got another flat shortly after which is the problem in the first place.

It is so frustrating I can't put it into words, 4 punctures in 12 months is just unheard of from what I can gather from people on here and other bikers I speak to...

If I stump up for a new tyre,which isn't a problem in itself but at my current rate i would be doing that every 4 months!
Get the tyre plugged, I have one in a 1100cc Yamaha, and toured Germany with it. It's been in 4 years now with no problems.

4 punctures in a year sounds very strange, get on with your neighbours?
The last 2 punctures I have had was after doing some woodwork and dropped some small nails, which the bike duly found
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Anyone else remember Nerg in the Ogri cartoons?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Anyone else remember Nerg in the Ogri cartoons?

Nerg nail. Always looked out for him. And the cats and dogs....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Anyone else remember Nerg in the Ogri cartoons?

Nerg nail. Always looked out for him. And the cats and dogs....

Sprocket :D
GeeGusKahn
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeeGusKahn »

Since I don't think anyone brought it up, I have the following suggestion,
Stay away from the gutters, curb areas and low spots on side of roadways.
Many times if you look in these areas you will see all kinds of debris including glass, nails, screws, etc., especially after a light to medium rain.
Usually after a heavy rain most everything is washed down into the storm drains - at least for a short period of time.
Don't know about lane splitting where you are but I have often seen people go both down center and to gutter side at traffic lights in their quest to reach the front of the line.
Just say NO to the gutter side.
2nd thought for the day - if you look at many tire web sites,
you will see that many tires are rated as tube or tubeless - especially scooter tires.
I don't think there is much of an issue putting a tube in a tubeless tire on our scooters.
Just my tuppence worth for today - I can actually remember a 1/2 pint of Guinness or bitters for four pence. :D
Sean
Sean, who loves Hi-Vis everything.
2013 Red PCX150 - NCY V and DF, 11 g rollers, stock OEM belt.
2006 Wht. Burgman 650, 30,000+ miles, running like a champ..
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

GeeGusKahn wrote:.
Since I don't think anyone brought it up, I have the following suggestion,
Stay away from the gutters, curb areas and low spots on side of roadways.
Many times if you look in these areas you will see all kinds of debris including glass, nails, screws, etc., especially after a light to medium rain.
Usually after a heavy rain most everything is washed down into the storm drains - at least for a short period of time.
Don't know about lane splitting where you are but I have often seen people go both down center and to gutter side at traffic lights in their quest to reach the front of the line.
Just say NO to the gutter side.
2nd thought for the day - if you look at many tire web sites,
you will see that many tires are rated as tube or tubeless - especially scooter tires.
I don't think there is much of an issue putting a tube in a tubeless tire on our scooters.
Just my tuppence worth for today - I can actually remember a 1/2 pint of Guinness or bitters for four pence. :D
Sean
Agree about the gutter.

I think the main problem with using a tube is with the wheel and not the tyre.
Other rides
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

Hey,

thanks to GeeGusKahn for the advice on what to avoid,

I thought I would update, I got the rear Tyre tubed on Saturday and haven't had an issue yet. Considering the disagreement between some posters on whether or not a tube in the bike is the right thing to do or not, I will willingly become the forums "To Tube or not to Tube"crash test dummy!

I am looking at replacing the tyres to the citygrips in the next 6 months, this is based on that i have no further issues with punctures!
if i stop posting entirely, then you can make the assumption that the tubed option didnt work and I have become pavement pate!

Will keep you posted and thanks to all for your help and comments
RichyP
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RichyP »

Hi guys,

well its 7 months later and i am glad to report i am not pavement pizza and that I haven't had any other issues with tyres since, the rear tyre still have the tube in it and i have covered about 3000 miles in that time, with nothing negative to report.

Best of all i am still alive and not pavement pizza, I cannot speak for everyone and different circumstances and tyres etc, but I would say from experience that there should be no issues in tubing a tubeless tyre.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

In my opinion it is not right to put a tube to tubelless tyres because :
1.If there is a screw or something on your tyre you will loose air INSTANTLY in a tube but you will lose air slowly in a tubeless tyre. Imagine that with a speed of 80-90-100 kms/h.....you will fall for sure.
2.If your tyre goes flat when you are away from home there are kits you can repair them easily by yourself without taking out the wheels but if you have a tube you must take the tyre out to fix it or call for road help.
3.It is not reccomended by any bike manufacter to change the factories standards and they know better than us i believe.

If i was in your shoes i would have changed my tires yesterday...
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016