IIHS Study On ABS Brakes On Honda Scooter Motorcycles

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: IIHS Study On ABS Brakes On Honda Scooter Motorcycles

Post by SECoda »

Yes - I mentioned the EU set a blanket rule above so it may push the ABS issue here eventually and we won't have to make these decisions. Sendler2112 has it exactly right. We primarily use scooters for recreation and they are really not that popular in the US much less with ABS brakes. The customer demand is just not there so the dealers don't order them. We only use in them in good weather. (my bike has never been wet - not even a tire at 2500 miles or stored outside) We scooter drivers avoid most of the bad factors in that study. Gas is relatively cheap here. (about $2.50 gal) Everybody by me owns large SUVs and trucks for normal transportation. These are our toys. That is why the fatality rate for the Reflex was so low in that study. It's a completely different situation in Europe or Asia where they are used heavily in numbers by commuters. If you saw the scenic video I posted from Monday we never even saw another car during that clip and very few all day long. On our scenic roads we have "Watch for Motorcycles" signs everywhere. My county is semi-rural and very hilly with heavy woods. It is scenic cycle heaven so there is a high awareness of them and very low traffic in most areas. We did just have a 600 lb bear hit by a truck this morning so they can be a hazard along with a gazillion deer and we really have to watch for them on the road. My wife has hit two deer with her last car in the last 24 months. They may be the main hazard we encounter most of the time. The only motorcycle fatality I know of recently (last few years) in my area was a young guy going like a bat out of hell at 2am on a hot sport bike (yes - it was a Honda) that ran off a curve and down a ravine. They have his helmet posted next to the site where he hit the trees. No other vehicles were on the road then.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

My environment. Others situations may vary.

My house on right
20131030_151100.jpg
20131030_151100.jpg (165.26 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Our main hazards (30 yards behind my house)
deer1.jpg
deer1.jpg (241.96 KiB) Viewed 829 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Yes - a young guy going like a bat out of hell at 2am on a hot sport bike ran off a curve and down a ravine. They have his helmet posted next to the site.
Hey that's a great way to become a missing person. Take your bike out for a ride through the back hills and drop off the grid never to be seen again.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Some 125s also have it, and it will become normal on all bar the cheapie brands.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Yeah, now that you mention it I recall something coming in in 2016/7 making it a legal requirement throughout Europe.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I'm not worried so much about fatality stats, since most m/c accidents by far are probably non fatal.

I am however, interested in not ending up with broken body parts on myself and the bike.

Fast forward to 1:35 for the wet braking part on the first one, the most interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j32751P1tQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MfLcJLaCs
'88 BMW R100RT
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:My environment. Others situations may vary.

My house on right
20131030_151100.jpg
Our main hazards (30 yards behind my house)
deer1.jpg

Don't feed them then?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Wont help the roads for miles around. They have a relatively small territory so whatever is in my backyard isn't what I meet on the roads. I actually don't feed them - I just have to pay for it. :roll: